James R. McWilliam, MD
West Harrison, NY
James R. McWilliam, M.D., is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankle surgery. His treatment philosophy stresses conservative management and, if non-operative treatment fails, he applies an evidence-based approach to surgical correction and repair. An emphasis on minimally invasive techniques, when applicable, frequently returns his patients to an active lifestyle faster than traditional, open techniques.
As the foremost foot and ankle surgeon in Westchester County, Dr. McWilliam has pioneered cutting-edge techniques in foot and ankle surgery including ankle replacement and minimally invasive fusion, arthroscopic cartilage and ligament repair, percutaneous Achilles tendon repair, and minimally invasive bunion surgery. As such, he is an in-demand speaker on a national and international level. A lifelong educator, Dr. McWilliam continues to train medical personnel in orthopedic surgery, from medical students to experienced surgeons.
Dr. McWilliam received his medical degree from Georgetown University, and completed his internship and residency at the Medical College of Wisconsin. He went on to complete a Fellowship in Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery at the American Sports Medicine Institute. Dr. McWilliam is also a Fellow in Deformity Correction, Limb Lengthening, and Lower Extremity Reconstruction from the Ilizarov Center in Russia.
His sports medicine experience encompasses consultancies with USA Track and Field, USA Triathlon, US Air Force Rugby, and the PGA tour. He was the team physician for the New Rochelle High School Football Team, which was named the 2003 New York State Champions. Dr. McWilliam is an Assistant Clinical Professor at New York Medical College.
Dr. McWilliam has conducted clinical research on the improvement in fixation of ankle fractures, minimally invasive Achilles tendon repair, conservative and surgical management of heel pain, minimally invasive bunion repair, and arthroscopic treatment of cartilage disorders of the ankle.
He is the author of more than 40 publications and presentations on arthroscopy, arthrodesis, Achilles tendon injury, and bunion repair. Dr. McWilliam is also a peer reviewer for the professional journal American Journal of Sports Medicine and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Knowledge Online.
Education & Training
- Georgetown University, Washington DC
- Residency and Internship, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
- Fellow, Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery, American Sports Medicine Institute, Birmingham, AL; John S. Gould, MD, Fellowship Director
- Fellowship, Deformity Correction, Limb Lengthening and Lower Extremity Reconstruction, Russian Ilizarov Scientific Center for Restorative Traumatology and Orthopaedics, Kurgan, Russia
- Orthopedic Consultant, World Team Tennis, Inc.
- Orthopedic Consultant, LPGA, HSBC Women’s Match Play World Championship
- Medical Committee, US Open Golf Championship
- Team Physician, New Rochelle High School Football
- Orthopedic Consultant, U.S. Air Force RugbyOrthopedic Consultant, Cape Cod Baseball League
- Orthopedic Consultant, USA Track and Field
- Orthopedic Consultant, USA Triathlon
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- American Sports Medicine Fellowship Society
- Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- New York State Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- White Plains Hospital