Edward L. Merker, MD
Edward L. Merker, MD is a board-certified Family Medicine physician who has been in practice in the same location in Pleasantville, New York since 1985, when he co-founded Family Medical Care, PC. After graduating from Albert Einstein College of Medicine in 1981, Dr. Merker completed a Family Medicine residency program at the then-Columbia University affiliate Overlook Hospital in Summit, New Jersey, where he served as chief resident. He has worked for many years as a both a medical director and staff physician at several local long-term care facilities.
Previously, Dr. Merker was Director of Family Medicine at Phelps Memorial Hospital in Sleepy Hollow, NY; an assistant clinical professor of Medicine at Columbia University; and an instructor of Family and Community Medicine at New York Medical College.
Dr. Merker sees adolescent and adult patients and has developed a particular expertise in caring for the geriatric population. He enjoys getting to know patients personally, in some cases over many years. He says that such long-term patient relationships help him to more effectively understand their medical problems, how to best treat them and continually to reevaluate their needs, often eliminating unneeded medications.
Dr. Merker has been recognized as one of Castle Connolly’s Top NY Metro area for 20 years.
Insurance Plans Accepted
- BLUE CROSS
- BLUE CROSS PATHWAY EXCHANGE PLANS
- EMBLEM HEALTHCARE SELECT- NYS EXCHANGE PLAN
- HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN OF NEW YORK (HIP)
- Humana (Medicare/Medicaid)
- LOCAL 1199
- OSCAR- NYS EXCHANGE PLAN
Education & Training
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York
- Internship and residency, Overlook Hospital, Summit, New Jersey
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- American Medical Directors Association
- Assistant clinical professor of Medicine, Columbia University
- Instructor, Family and Community Medicine, New York Medical College
- Family Medicine
- Medical Director for long-term care
- White Plains Hospital